Thursday, May 6, 2010

Socialization of an Ignorant Kid

      When I was a child, WWF ( resling ) was very famous among my friends. All the kids had his favorite fighter and most of the boys knew all the fighters' name. Unfortunately for me this task was not easy. Cause, I did not like WWF that much. I would try to watch though, in order to claim that I watch WWF. Similarly, most of the boys watched cricket. My dad also watched cricket. But, the terminology and rules of the game seemed very hard to me. As a result, I did not have interest in cricket. Whenever my classmates used to talk about their cricket heroes or WWF fevorites, I could not join their discussion and felt like an alien. 

       When I look around I see young boys playing football or cricket. I did not play these games until I was 14. By that time most of the kids around me became so efficient at these that they hardly took me in their team. I remember once I saw my classmates playing long pitch cricket. I was amazed to see that. Because, till then I only played short pitch version ( pitch is shorter than the original version ) of the game. Out of my curiosity I went to them and requested to let me pitch one ball. With immense enthusiasm I proceeded to pitch the ball. I threw the ball with all my strength but the ball did not even reach half pitch before the first drop and due to its slow speed it bounced twice before reaching the batsman. The message was clear to all, I have never played cricket. They did not spare me from shattering my self-confidence with their cruel laughter. After couple of years I became a pretty decent bowler. However, by that time boys of my age group stopped playing cricket.

        For me, materialistic era started when I was in 8th grade. My family moved from a small town Comilla to the Port city Chittagong. Naturally I had to change my school. At my new class I discovered that 50% of my classmates had PC. Back then I did not have PC and it was considered to be an expensive possession for any boy. I had left my friends and old school. So, the time was testing my socialization skills. I needed to find some friends. This time the topic changed to a new direction - " Computer Games ". Though I made some really good friends but whenever they would talk about PCs and games I wondered, " what the hell they are talking about ". You know, this is the biggest problem with the materialistic era, it has set its nose into socialization process. You cannot completely accept it you cannot completely deny it.

         People these days are very serious about media. They watch latest movies and have their favorite genre of music. Watching movies and listening to music are two of those rare activities that I love doing. Ironically, I did not know that music has got different genres before I was in 11th grade. By that time, behind my knowledge, most of the boys around me had listened to a vast sum of metal songs. When they would talk about their favorite bands and guitarists I would feel like an ignorant. Ignorance is not always bliss !!

2 comments:

  1. You are right brother. Ignorance is not always bad.... Enjoyed reading the very interesting fact...... Keep blogging bro........

    ReplyDelete
  2. carry on.....its interesting.....

    ReplyDelete